"Why the Amos 'n' Andy TV Show Should Be Taken Off the Air"
NAACP Bulletin, August 15, 1951
- It tends to strengthen the conclusion among uninformed and
prejudiced people that Negroes are inferior, lazy, dumb and
- Every character in this one and only TV show with an all
Negro cast is either a clown or a crook.
- Negro doctors are shown as quacks and thieves.
- Negro lawyers are shown as slippery cowards, ignorant of
their profession and without ethics.
- Negro Women are shown as cackling, screaming shrews, in big
mouthed close-ups, using street slang, just short of
- All Negroes are shown as dodging work of any kind.
- Millions of white Americans see this Amos 'n' Andy picture of
Negroes and think the entire race is the same.
Return to the Tim Moore page.